Thursday, September 11, 2008

Table Decorations






Flowers and candles on tables do sound quite normal, don't they? But have you ever seen live gold fish as table decoration? Well, it seems that this is the latest fashion with florists and it happened on one of the wedding dinners we hosted in Grand Hotel Toplice this summer. I have attached a photo in case you still do not believe it. It looks fabulous doesn't it? I also attached some more classical arrangements which are luckily still preferred by most guests. I have nothing against gold fish, please believe me, it is just that I was thinking what comes next. What if somebody decides to have live snakes or spiders on the tables? Where is the limit? In case you were wondering what happened to all the fish (12 in total) after the dinner, let me say that the guests were given plastic bags filled with water and took them home.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

What a wonderful idea to have fish in a bowl as a table decoration! Sounds very creative. The only catch is not to have fish on the menu. Somehow, the combination does not sound appetising.

Fish in bowl also seems more nature friendly to my taste. Flowers are condemned to death in few days once they are cut, but you can still return fish in a pond, can't you? Which is what I hope your guests did after being honoured with a live gift...

As for the snakes and spiders- I must agree I could not eat with a terrarium in front of me. And I am not even the most squeamish person at all. I would never consider them as pets, but I can touch them without having a heart attack. But most of us are squeamish and decorations after all are meant to make you rest your eyes and to enjoy the food better.That is why I think it is a very unlikely scenario for your dinnner tables.

Some ideas, no matter how crazy or creative, are simply not worth trying. It does not have to be snakes, try imagining having birds in cages on the table. Birds are beautiful,true, but not caged on dinner table. That is just bad taste in my opinion. Same goes for snakes and spiders. Some might feel the same about fish, which brings us back to safe,oldfashioned, normal-flowers. These appear to be the best choice ever, don't they? I am not so sure anymore. I may not be squemish but glasshouse flowers always had a strange smell to me...
Tomi

Petra Vengust/ Grand Hotel Toplice /Bled said...

Dear Tomi! I couldn't agree more with you. There is another thing we have to consider when preparing table arrangements: HACCP rules and procedures. We have to prevent food contamination! Putting for example birds in cages on tables might actually cause a huge health hazard to the guests. Yes, indeed, flowers are still the best option, although plants can be poisonous as well, right? Hm......