Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Conducting

I am sure that you have all watched a symphonic orchestra perform a difficult symphony. But did you ever wonder if they could manage without the conductor? I am sure that if they are well rehearsed they could actually make it on their own, at least for a while. The first violin would probably have to take over a part of conductor’s job, but all in all, they would probably do just fine. This brings me to my next question, whether or not a hotel can do without a manager. The answer is probably very much the same. Of course it can. If the staff is synchronized and well trained, they should have no problem for a couple of weeks, maybe even a month or more, until eventually there would be a dilemma and they would need someone to make a decision for them. Or there would be a problem and they would need guidance. Or at least someone to tell them that they are doing a great job and that the road they have chosen is the right one. Managing is a little bit like being a parent: a lot of motivation and a lot of guidance and of course setting a good example. I am leaving for a short holiday now and I am putting the managing of the hotel in the hands of my two first violins Asmir and Anže! I will be back soon! Bye.

No comments: